About City of Hamilton, Ohio Wastewater
The City of Hamilton Wastewater System is made up of two primary divisions:
- Sanitary Sewer Division – responsible for operating and maintaining the sanitary sewer infrastructure for the collection and conveyance of wastewater to the Water Reclamation Facility
- Water Reclamation Division – responsible for treating wastewater that is collected and delivered by the sanitary sewer infrastructure
Located along the eastern bank of the Great Miami River, the City’s initial wastewater treatment plant was placed in service in 1959. The plant was expanded in 1978 and again in 2002 to provide complete treatment services. Today, the Water Reclamation Facility (WRF) provides primary and secondary treatment to remove approximately 99% of the solids and organics from the wastewater flow and treats approximately 80 tons of solids daily. The WRF has a biological treatment capacity of 32 million gallons per day (MGD), and a hydraulic capacity of 62 MGD.